Take Your Legislator to Work
The elections are now a distant memory and the Wisconsin State Legislature is back in action and ready to work on policies and budget initiatives important to school nutrition and SNA-WI members. With that being the case, it’s more important than ever for you to participate in SNA-WI’s Take your Legislator to Work campaign.
As you know, the campaign is designed to help you educate your state legislators on the importance of school nutrition programs and show them firsthand how they benefit students and help develop the full potential of all Wisconsin children.
Under the campaign, SNA-WI members are encouraged to invite their state legislators to their work sites to observe their school breakfast programs. The goal is to build and strengthen relationships with state legislators and increase SNA-WI’s influence in the State Capitol.
The most exciting part about the Take your Legislator to Work campaign is that it works! In fact, as the direct result of a member “taking their legislator to work,” the legislator who made the visit spoke to the Governor about the need to increase state funding for school breakfast. And that’s just one example….
By inviting your legislators to work, you can demonstrate face-to-face the value of school nutrition and help SNA-WI pass legislation to strengthen the school nutrition profession, improve healthy school environments, and increase state funding for school nutrition programs.
- SNA-WI's Take Your Legislator to Work campaign is designed for members to invite their state legislators (and not their Congress people) to their workplace. State legislators serve in the Wisconsin State Legislature.
- Members do not have to be political experts to participate in the Take Your Legislator to Work campaign. SNA-WI's government affairs consultant will personally brief all participating members and provide talking points, policy papers and other relevant political information well in advance of legislative visits.
- Participating in the Take Your Legislator to Work campaign will not demand a huge time commitment. The SNA-WI’s government affairs consultant will set-up and coordinate all legislative visits. Member participants simply need to play host the day of the legislative visit. Also, the legislative visit itself should take no more than an hour.
- Issues participating members will be talking to their legislators about includes the School Food Safety Bill and increased state funding for the School Breakfast Program.
- Please remember to obtain permission from your employer/school district before agreeing to participate in the Take Your Legislator to Work campaign.
If you're interested in participating in the Take Your Legislator to Work campaign, simply fill out and submit the online form below, and SNA-WI will make all the necessary arrangements.